Friday 25 July 2014

ICW: Shug's House Party Preview


I don't want to jinx it or anything, but if I make it through the next three days without any natural disasters or drapping deid all of a sudden - Sunday will finally be my first ICW show. After several daft and unfortunately timed circumstances, the Square Go and Still Smokin' had to be missed, despite the fact I had tickets for both. But now, Shug's House Party - I'll be there, and so will a bunch of heavy talented wrestlers, so everything will be sound. So aye.


The main event of the evening sees Jack Jester defend the ICW Heavyweight Championship against a guy who has worked for WWE, Martin Stone (I recognized him from getting squashed off Bray Wyatt on NXT ages ago but besides from that, I've not really seen much of him). This announcement surprised me but I realized that Jimmy Havoc is booked elsewhere on the night so Jack can keep what's left of his face for at least another month. You can't really see Stone winning this one, but it should be a stellar match, with the added element of the NAK running about without being booked for matches. Makes me think Renfrew may finally cash in. Jester can't be in great shape after London, so another match should do just enough to soften him up for Renfrew.

The other championship match sees Zero-G champion Mark Coffey defend against Solar. The fact that it was Solar who was supposed to face Coffey when Fergal Devitt came out to challenge instead would make me think Solar has more to lose here, at least in his mind - and I'd personally love to see him take the gold. I've seen both these guys live, and going by what I've seen, this should shape up to be a fantastic match. So with that being said, if Jackie Polo doesn't get involved at one point (aye, right) I think Solar could win the title clean here.

Of all the matches announced so far, the one I'm looking most forward to is Joe Coffey vs Jack Gallagher. The past couple of SWA shows I've been to, I've watched Joe Coffey win the Battlezone, and then go on to beat Mikey Whiplash for the SWA title in one of the best wrestling matches I've ever seen inside a steel cage. His recent match with Noam Dar has been called the match of the year, and I've still no seen it, which makes me dead sad inside. At SWA, Jack Gallagher is the man, everyone adores Ginge. He's also a cracking wrestler, with a tonne of worldwide wresting ideologies and techniques at his disposal, and for those reasons, along with the fact that Joe Coffey is indisputably one of the best wrestlers in Europe right now, it's easy o assume that this has match of the night written all over it.

Grado looks to get a measure of revenge against the man who attacked him after their tag match in Newcastle, Johnny Moss. The big man is a brute in the ring, and he gave oor Grado a pastin' doon there, but I think we can safely say that after Grado got his first proper taste of championship gold at PWE, there'll be no stopping the main man here. We all know Grado is a captivating storyteller in the ring, along with being the funniest cunt tae grace professional wrestling ever, and I think that after the early beatdown, he'll battle back and pick up the hard fought W.

The final match announced so far for the show is - I need to get my breath here - an I Quit match between Liam Thomson and Kid Fite. Are yous inty that? Aye? Aye. We aw are. The former teammates are going to get a proper shot at leathering each other to the point that one has to actually quit. Right up ma alley. We all love Kid Fite, and Liam Thomson is perhaps one of the most under appreciated wrestlers in Scotland, throw in the fact that Liam's burd Carmel has made pals wi Kay Lee Ray and they two and Sara are floating aboot causing it, ye can see that this match will be chaos in the form of pro wrestling. Kid Fite will probably show the heart of a lion, but eventually the numbers will catch up and Thomson will pick up the win. Saying that, Fito could have some hauners from the Owens twins, or maybe even... Paul London. Would that be too good? I'm gonny guess aye.

Besides those 5 great matches that have already been announced, we can almost definitely expect some impromptu scraps thrown in here and there. We know Big Damo is after Joe Hendry's blood - so will he disrupt Lost in Audio's half time performance? Will Wolfgang even be fit to be in Glasgow after the brutal NAK attack in London? Will Lionheart be there to confront Jackie Polo? Perhaps most intriguingly, what is this video all aboot?




Sunday, 27th of July, Glasgow 02 ABC, 7pm. If you've got a ticket, be there. If you've no got a ticket, try n see if anycunt's selling, because this show is SOLD OUT.