Wednesday 5 November 2014

A Chat With DCT


DCT is perhaps one of the fastest rising stars on the Scottish wrestling scene at the moment. His often hilarious promo work coupled with the fact he's a dab hand in the ring is getting him well noticed in some of the major Scottish promotions. Most recently, winning the SWA Tag Team Championships as one half of Muay Tache alongside Adam Carrel, and winning an invitational battle royal to receive a spot at Polo Promotions, at ICW's "Spacebaws IV - A New Hope". I asked DCT a few questions about this, as well as his early experiences in wrestling, and what we may expect from him in the future...


Hi DCT! Thanks for taking time out to answer a few questions! Good to start from the beginning... What was your first memory of pro wrestling, and how did you go about getting started yourself?
"I have vague memories of being a young moustached boy and seeing Ric and David Flair on WCW Nitro in 1999. It didn’t hook me straight away. All I actually remember is asking my sister “Who’s that old guy?” and she told me that him and his son were the baddies. I also remember my chums showing me a video of Mae Young whipping them out at Royal Rumble 2000. Not so sexy. It wasn’t until Summerslam 2000 that I watched on PPV when I was in Florida that I become truly obsessed. This was the show where Shane McMahon took the massive fall off the side of the set and Kurt Angle got knocked out in the main event. I’d missed out on Steve Austin’s prime completely but the Attitude Era was still red hot so it was a great time to start watching.
In regards to getting started, I was at Wrestlemania 28 in Miami and I saw the Undertaker walking to the ring and all I could think was “If I don’t at least give this a proper shot I’ll never forgive myself.” I had briefly trained with SWA in 2008 but I was too young really and couldn’t commit. I had women to chase! So I headed back there in April 2012, found that the school had vastly improved since I last attended and the rest is history."
You've been known in ICW for a while now, but recently got a big break by winning an internship with Polo Promotions at the inaugural Spacebaws event. How's that working out for you so far and what can we expect from your alliance with Jackie Polo?

"Well, I do need to correct you there as I didn’t officially enter the internship battle royal. But Mr Polo was so impressed by my gumption that he offered me a place as a full member of Polo Promotions. He was right to be impressed, much like you should be. It takes some hefty crown jewels to arrive uninvited and steal the glory from the other chumps in the rumble. Now, I’m in great company with our esteemed leader, TV’s Jackie Polo, taking me under his wing to become the golden boy of Polo Promotions. I’m also rubbing shoulders with the Real Deal Mark Coffey, a man who stands head and shoulders above the rest. This man is the REAL ICW champion, whether he has the physical belt or not. Then we have the Total Repackage: Cooooooooach Trip! A true vet, a motivator, a renaissance man.


What can you expect? Polo Promotions was already the Real Deal. Polo Promotions was already the BEEEEEEEEST. Now, Polo Promotions just got sexy."

I feel I have to ask this... where did you get the moniker of "The International Sex Hero" from?

"Well, early this year I took my leave from Scotland. I travelled the world to find myself. What I discovered was something beautiful. Something sexy. Something that makes the ladies scream “OH!” until they can’t scream anymore! One girl fell into a lovin’-induced coma and when she woke up, she cried for a month straight because I wasn’t there to put her back in it. That’s just the business, baby. I then decided to return and bring back my knowledge and wisdom, which I share via my HOTline on 69-69-oh-oh-OH!


When the most excellent band Colonel Mustard and the Dijon 5 heard of my exploits, they penned a song about me. And thus, the International Sex Hero was born. OH!"

We've saw what happened during ICW's Fringe Festival run. You had a bit of an altercation with Heavyweight champ Jack Jester. Are we likely to see you seek some retribution in the near future?

"So Jester’s the ICW champion, an extremely difficult accomplishment to achieve. The list of men to hold that title is very short. He’s well-travelled, more experienced, bigger, stronger. So why did he open the match with a kick to the nuts? And a belt? All because his big pal showed him up at the ABC? A real champion wouldn’t need to use a weapon. You’d never see anyone from Polo Promotions using a foreign object. Right now, I’m focused on me. I’m focused on Polo Promotions. But I won’t forget that night in Edinburgh. When he least expects it, daddy’s home."

Moving away from ICW now. You won the SWA Tag Team Championships with Adam Carrel in front of a hometown crowd in Paisley this past Friday. To win a title in front of a hometown audience must be a great feeling. What was it like when that bell rung and you had captured the titles, with the entire Lagoon Leisure Center firmly behind you?

"For Adam and I, it was the culmination of years of hard work. We’re very different people but we’ve had a lot of the same opportunities along the way. We both debuted at Battlezone 2012 and had our first Friends and Family match together. Essentially, Muay Tache is a joke that’s gotten entirely out of hand. But it’s glorious. There’s nothing like a hometown win and I knew we had to go balls to the wall. We had incredible opponents in the Forgotten (Glen Dunbar & Alex Cavanagh w/Jam O’Malley) and it was a great dynamic between the two teams. You’re only as good as your dancing partner and those 2 gave us a hellacious fight. Keep your eyes peeled for a rematch. I also put a lot of pressure on myself to get bodies in the building as Paisley has historically been a hard sell. I can proudly say that it was the biggest crowd we’ve ever had in Paisley that night. The people pounding the pavements with me to promote that show deserve to have their horns tooted so… Toot toot."

Is there anyone in wrestling who you look up to in particular? And is there anyone who you would love to get in the ring with that you haven't had the chance to face yet?

"Well naturally, Polo Promotions are the cream of the crop. Jackie and Mark are raising my game and I’m on their heels to get to their level. Those 2 aside, naturally I look at who has trained me. Big Damo, Whiplash, Jam, Dunbar, Cav, Nikki Storm among others have shaped the way I work. Drew Galloway is up there as he’s the only Scotsman who has made it to the dance. Grado is another one who has made waves in the mainstream in Scotland. Any wrestler who says they wouldn’t kill for the reaction he gets is a liar.


HOWEVER, at the top of my list is Mikey Whiplash. The man is a wrestling encyclopaedia and I’ve said for a long time that he’s the best currently working in the country. I’ve seen him as a no-nonsense wrestler, a stand-up comedian and a psychotic transvestite. He could have a good match with a broomstick. I’m marginally better than a broomstick so I’m confident we could have a great match together."

Any match in particular that you've been involved in that's a personal favorite?

"The Paisley tag titles match could possibly be my favourite for obvious reasons. I also had a cracking match with Divers at Pride that I’m really proud of, a no DQ match with Renfrew (also at Pride) last year which was my first chance to really go for it in a match. I also had a fun match recently with Jackie in Cambuslang. But I’ve definitely not had my best match yet. It’s early days still so keep an eye on ol’ DCT."

Outwith your own, can you pick your favorite match of all time?

"Gimmick Battle Royal at WM 17. To be honest I hate this question as it’s so hard to come up with one answer. I think it’s important to watch as much as you can and never get tied down with the same matches. That being said, I’ll go with the best match I’ve ever seen live: Triple H vs Undertaker’s Hell in a Cell at WM 28. Magical. It’s the reason I’m here."

Last but not least, are there any particular goals you're looking to achieve? What does the future hold for DCT? And if there's anything you'd like to add or upcoming shows you'd like to plug... feel free!

"Goals? To continue my quest as the International Sex Hero and continue the wave of sensual satisfaction that’s sweeping the nation.
To get 1000+ people in the Lagoon Leisure Centre.
To win a Heavyweight title. It’ll happen. Trust me.
Upcoming confirmed events for DCT this year are:
SWA Live at Link Centre, Cumbernauld – November 14th
Pride Kobayashi Maru at Bridgeton Community Centre – November 29th
Reckless Intent Lights Out at Murieston Scout Hall, Livingston – December 6th
ICW Spacebaws Episode V: Bill Murray Strikes Back at the Garage – December 21st
www.instagram.com/DCTWrestler

DIDYOU ENJOY THAT?!"

Well there you have it! Thanks again to DCT for a cracking set of answers. Was planning on putting links to his social media here but he's already got that covered so all that's really left for me to say is... stay sexy, people.