Thursday 9 October 2014

A Chat With Lucy Cole


So here's my first ever interview! Lucy Cole is one of the up and coming young talents in the Scottish wrestling scene at the moment. Only recently making her debut for some of the top promotions in the country. I asked her a few questions about her early experience, training, influences and what to expect in the future from Lucy Cole!


Hi Lucy, thanks for taking the time to answer a few questions! I guess we'll start from the beginning... What is your earliest memory of wrestling and what was the motivation behind you wanting to become a wrestler?

"Well, unlike a lot of people, I never watched wrestling growing up and it wasn't something I was really aware of at all until last year. My ex is a wrestling fan, and one day I happened to wander into the living room while he was halfway through watching a WWE DVD. By the end of it I was more hooked than him! After that I was just watching wrestling all the time, and found myself wondering how it was people went about training to do it. Then I started to wonder if it was maybe something that I could do. A few weeks and a whole lot of Googling later, I had my first day at the PBW Academy."

Coming out of the PBW Academy, what's it like to have one of Scotland's very best in Kid Fite showing you the ropes?

"Obviously it's very reassuring to know that you are being taught by one of the top guys in Scotland, especially when you are just starting out. I have a lot of respect for Kid Fite as he really cares about the school and his students, and has a lot of time for everyone, no matter what stage they are at in their training. There is a definite family mentality at the Academy aswell, which I think makes it more enjoyable for everyone. It's also pretty cool knowing that the school has produced some of the top names in Scotland, and I'm really proud to say I train there."

In the past couple of months you've made your full debut for Fierce Females, ICW and your home promotion, PBW. What was it like to get your first taste of competition in those promotions?

"Pretty overwhelming, haha! They were all companies that I was hoping to work for at some point, so it was really amazing to be given the opportunity to work for all three. They all attract fairly different crowds aswell, so that was an interesting experience, and I learned a lot from each match."

On that note, is being in the ring with Layla Rose as terrifying as it seems?

"Yes."

At PBW, you teamed up with Kay Lee Ray to take on the Owens Twins, pretty good company to keep on your debut. Did being in the ring with three of the more experienced women on the scene put the pressure on you a wee bit?

"Yes and no. When I first found out about the match I definitely felt the pressure, as they all perform at such a high level and I am very much just starting out. On the flip side of that though, I realised that you probably couldn't find a better three to learn from, which I decided was a much less nerve-wracking way to look at it, haha. When it came down to it, I really enjoyed the match, and it definitely was an invaluable learning experience."

Is there anyone in particular you look up to in wrestling? And is there someone who you would specifically love to get in the ring with?

"It's probably a common answer, but I would have to say one of the people I look up to is Kay Lee Ray. She's undoubtedly one of the best in the UK, and always has a lot of helpful advice when she's at training. Also, I think there can still be a certain amount of prejudice towards women's wrestling, and you have to admire the fact that workers like Kay Lee are going out there and out-wrestling the guys a lot of the time. Teaming with her for my PBW debut was really great, and I would definitely like the chance to go against her at some point in the future."

Finally, are there any short term and long term goals in wrestling? What does the future hold for Lucy Cole? And if there's anything else you'd like to add... feel free!

"I think I am just determined to perform at the best level I can. At the moment I just want to keep training and keep learning. Considering that just under two years ago I couldn't even have told you what a suplex is, the way I see it, the sky's the limit."

Well there you have it folks! Thanks again to Lucy for answering the questions! Everyone go and give her a follow on twitter @_LucyCole_ to keep up to date with where she'll be appearing in the future!