Sunday 8 February 2015

A Chat With Emily Hayden


Been a wee while since I last done an interview on here so I decided to rectify that as soon as possible. Now, like the old saying about buses goes - wait all day for one, then two come at the same time. I can use that here... well, kinda... only it's about interviews with folk, and there will be THREE coming your way. Starting off with this one right here. Emily Hayden is another fresh talent coming up just now in the Scottish wrestling scene. Coming out of the PBW Academy, she's made appearances for ICW, BCW and recently made her full roster debut for her home promotion PBW, after appearing on the Academy shows. I asked her a few questions about how she got started in wrestling, who she looks up to in the business, and the benefits of having some of the elite performers in Britain as her trainers. Now that the pleasantries are out the way, here's an interview. Enjoy!

First of all, thanks for taking the time to answer a few questions! So we'll start off with the usual opener - what is your earliest memory of professional wrestling and how did you go about getting started in the business?

"My earliest memory of wrestling I would have to say is watching WWE during the attitude era with my dad and my older brother when I was about the age of 4. I remember seeing Lita for the first time and being in total awe. She was pretty inspiring to watch and I recall thinking how I wanted to be just as tough as her for some of the things she did.  Since then I was hooked and it became something I wanted to pursue in the future. Back in 2012 while I was at college, a friend of mine from class overheard myself and a couple of our classmates talking about the Summerslam PPV of that year. He then mentioned to me about his sister and how she trained with the PBW academy. So after looking up the Facebook page in class and being given by my friend all of the information on the nearest training school, I had my first day of training at the PBW academy in Airdrie."

Being a member of the PBW Academy, it must be beneficial having someone like Kid Fite training you. What's it like having a seasoned veteran of the Scottish scene showing you the ropes?

"When starting out it was pretty comforting to know that I'd be in safe hands. PBW have 3 schools: Airdrie, Barrhead and Greenock. Since I'm at the Airdrie academy, my head trainer's TJ Rage and from day one, he's been nothing but encouraging to me. I also try to get to the Barrhead academy as often as I can to be taught by Kid Fite and every time I attend, he is also nothing but encouraging and it's reassuring to know both trainers are there if you struggle with anything. I have nothing but respect for both trainers. All of the schools have a great family vibe, it makes the experience more fun. I'm really proud to be able to say I train there."

Going back to the inaugural ICW Spacebaws event, you made your ICW debut in a 4 way match against Courtney, Lucy Cole and Layla Rose. What was that experience like and can we expect to see you in ICW again soon?

"The experience itself was really exciting - scary - but exciting nonetheless. Obviously the crowd are much more different at ICW compared to the likes of PBW and BCW, shows that are aimed at families, so that made things a bit more intimidating. I felt at ease with having Lucy and Courtney there and knew I'd be alright and it'd be a lot of fun. Then Layla appeared and smashed us all. That was terrifying! In terms of whether you'll see me on ICW again, expect the unexpected, that's what I say. Never know, maybe I'll be on again at some point."

You had been appearing on Academy Attack shows at PBW but only recently made your full debut for the company in a mixed tag match, teaming with Stevie Xavier against Kasey Owens and Switch. Does having that kind of experience both beside you and across the ring help with your confidence going into a big match, or does it perhaps but the pressure on a bit more to do well?

"Having the level of experience that I did in the match both with my tag partner being Stevie Xavier and also with having opponents in Kasey Owens and Switch was really reassuring. At first I'll admit, I was feeling the pressure and that didn't help my confidence at all considering they've all been wrestling longer than I have and at such a high level in which they perform at. I was worried I wouldn't be able to keep up since I was only starting out. However, when the time came, they were terrific to work with: any moves I wasn't sure of and wanted to go over, they were more than willing and any questions I had they answered. It was truly a great learning experience and I can honestly say it helped with my confidence for going into that match."

Do you have anyone in particular who you look up to in the wrestling business?

"I actually have two that I look up to in the wrestling business. First of all I'd have to say Kay Lee Ray. She's definitely one of the top women in the UK and anytime I need advice she's always helpful. The second person I look up to is Carmel Jacob. I actually had the privilege of wrestling her on the debut show of Pro Wrestling Scotland and it was truly amazing to have such an opportunity. It's great to see both women have shown that the girls are just as good as the guys. Not only is it empowering, it's inspiring and shows with passion and being determined you can do anything. They've set the bar high for girls like me who are looking to break out on the Scottish wrestling scene and to that I say challenge accepted."

Favorite match you've competed in so far? And who do you enjoy getting in the ring with the most?

"There's too many favourites to name! I've had fun with so many of my matches although one I'd say was the most fun was the PBW Academy Attacks 3 show in Coatbridge. I was involved in a six man tag with Davey Blaze and my good friend, Krieger against the team of Tony Martyns, Taylor Bellando and Ashley. Everyone except from Blaze is PBW Airdrie academy trainees and the fact that we know each other so well made it so enjoyable. Also, I got to be involved in my friend Ashley's debut and am delighted to be able to say I was in her first ever match on a show. As for the person I enjoy getting in the ring with the most, that's a tough one. I've worked with so many great people it's hard to choose. I think I'll have to leave that one blank, haha."

Finally, if there are any upcoming events you are featuring on or just anything else in general you want to plug, feel free to talk about it here!

"BCW's first show of the year is on the 20th of February at the Ballerup Hall in East Kilbride. Tickets are only £10 or 4 for £30 and the show will start at 7:30pm. The next ICW Spacebaws show will be on the 15th of March at the Garage with tickets available now! PBW will be holding their next show in Larbert at the Dobbie Hall on the 20th of March with tickets being sold at £10 and the show starting at 7:00pm. If you can't make it to all of them at least make it to one, it'll be a great night out either way!"

Thanks a lot to Emily for taking the time to answer the questions. To keep up to date with her upcoming appearances, give her a follow on twitter @EmilyHaydenPBW.

Keep your eyes peeled for more interviews coming along very soon and don't forget to go like our facebook page for all the latest in Scottish pro wrestling, as well as the occasional WWE stuff.

Credit to David J. Wilson for the top photo.